Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Joined a Book Club

Hello Blogger friends!

A co-worker of mine started a book club and I joined it.  There are currently about 25 people in this club.  We are reading books that are becoming, or already are, movies, tv movies/mini series &/or are stage plays.  I'm really excited because it's combining my favorite things:  books, movies, tv, and plays!!

The first book we're reading is called "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.  It is the first book in a 3 book series.  I am half way through the book.  The movie comes out March 23rd.  The book is great and I cannot wait for the movie.  I haven't seen the trailer yet, although a few friends have and they said it looks good. 

I think she said the next book is "Wicked".  Honestly, I didn't know there was a book!  Anyway, after we read the book....we will go see the stage play.  I know it was in San Francisco forever, but I thought it was gone.  She said it was coming back in May.  Will have to look into that!!  I really am not a Wizard of Oz fan but I heard the play was excellent so will bite the bullet!!  I'm sure I'll loooove it.....

Last week I saw the movie "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".  No I haven't read the book.  Several people told me the book is a tough read.  A friend told me that she was told by people to see the movie first and the book will be easier to follow.  I went and got the book and once I'm done with The Hunger Games I will start it. 

I've been in a movie sort of mood lately.  Last week I went to the movies 3 times!!  I saw:  The Descendants with George Clooney, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol with Tom Cruise and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig.  All 3 movies were enjoyable.  I always love MI movies!!  Although Tom Cruise looks a lot older....he is still the Movie Star to me!!  Craziness and all :P

I watched the Golden Globes the other night.  Although I did see The Descendants and love George Clooney....did I think the movie deserved Best Picture???  Uh, that would be a NO!!  It was a good movie, but "The Help" was waaaay better.  Actually, so was "Moneyball" with Brad Pitt.  I am a huge baseball fan, and they are right when they say you don't have to like baseball to love this movie!!!  And honestly, I thought Brad Pitt was excellent as Billy Beane!!  IMO he is a very under-rated actor!

Tonight I went and saw "Contraband" with Mark Wahlberg.  I really do enjoy action movies and this one didn't disappoint.  Will it be up for any Oscars?? No....but I enjoyed every minute of it!!

I really really really want to see "The Artist".  But I live in a suburb with a Brenden Theatre in town.  God forbid they show anything but the big blockbusters and kiddie movies..... 

I guess Brenden Theatres think people in suburbs are ONLY interested in those 2 groups of movies since we NEVER get any "artsy" movies or foreign films, documentaries, etc......Not everyone here has kids and wants to see some of the idiot movies released.  The only reason we got the Al Gore doc "An Inconvenient Truth" at Brenden a few years ago was because so many people launched a massive protest which included an editorial in the local paper!!  They finally caved!!  Of course it was only there for 1 week!!

I really don't want to drive to San Francisco or wherever in the Bay Area, just to see a movie!!  So, unless Brenden changes their idiot policy, I will have to wait for it to come out on video :(  And, the worst part... we have 16...count'em, 16 theatres in this movie complex.  Usually there are only 6 maybe 7 movies actually playing each week....what a joke!!!!!!!!!!

Well, enough of my griping....at least we have a movie theatre, and I have the money to go to the movies.  Things can be worse, right?!?!?!  

That's enough for now.  Happy Hump Day to you all and I wish you all a great week!!  Until next time.....

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the Hunger Games series! I can't wait to see how great the movie is going to be!

    ReplyDelete