Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Journey Forward

Hi everyone!! 

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I last blogged....yet it really has!!  I have been working a lot, as usual.  But, as I said in my last post, I really need to find some balance in my life. 

And.....since it's completely obvious that I cannot figure it out for myself, no matter HOW smart I THINK I am (lol),  I have been doing some research.  I checked out several books from the local library...which I have started reading. 

I know that this may seem like common sense to most, but having balance in my life doesn't come naturally to me....no matter how much I wish for it to do so!!

In between working and getting through each day....I have been reading.  It's doing me some good I think because I am slowly starting to take steps to make my life a happier and balanced one.  Albeit, they are baby steps....but it's okay....as long as the overall journey travels forward, right?!

So, in the last week I finished 2 books:  The first was: "A Place of Yes" by Bethenny Frankel (yes of RHONY and Bethenny Ever After fame).  This book resonated with me so very much and I have to give her a HUGE thank you for writing it!!  It came at the right moment for me. 

The second book was "How To Be Your Own Matchmaker" by Patti Stanger.  I got this book because even though I am divorced/single and dating, I really close myself off to being in a relationship and have finally realized that it is not healthy. I was burned by my ex (figuratively not actually!) and have lots of trust issues still...even after all these years.  I think its time to let the past be in the past and learn to trust again.  Wish me luck!!

A lot of this book she has talked about on her reality TV show:  "Millionaire Matchmaker" on BravoTV.  There is quite a bit of info if you're interested in internet dating (which I am not and never will be, thank you very much).  I enjoyed reading this book and did learn quite a few things.  So....thank you Patti Stanger!!

The current book I'm reading:  "The Mind-Body Mood Solution" is very good.  I just started it the other day and will be done with it tonight.  Basically it's a book about how to get relief from depression without using drugs (aka meds). 

I do not suffer from depression in the way that most people understand it to be and would never need to take meds, but I do know that I am not happy with how my life is at this time.  I also realize that I am the only one who can change it. 

This book breaks down different aspects both mentally and physically to show how depression can manifest itself into almost anyones life...if they let it.  And then shows (if you're interested)  how to get back on track both mentally and physically.  Some of it I already knew, which is very sad.  But this is the first time I am really ready to do the work to improve things in my life and make ME a priority!! 

As for other parts of my life......I finally found a bridesmaids dress for my cousins wedding next month.  The only thing I really need now is to make the plane reservations. 

I have also started exercising this week.  Even though I play softball and exercise occasionally--as well as being on my feet all day as a server--I am truly very out of shape.  Old routines I used to do with some ease, I can barely finish.  I have 6 weeks (well, I think it's actually 5 1/2 wks now) to get in some semblance of shape to feel comfortable walking down the aisle in front of almost 300 people (yikes!!)

Time to get back to reading my book before bed.  Hoping everyone has a great Friday and, if I'm not back on my blog beforehand, wishing all dads a very HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!

Until next time......

1 comment:

  1. What a coincidence! I just bought Patti's book on Saturday! I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete