Monday, April 25, 2011

My Point of View

It's Monday and after running errands and doing some housework, I am sitting here watching the History Channels "The Third Reich:  The Fall".  Prior to that I caught the last half hour of "The Third Reich:  The Rise".  Now, I was a history major in college so I did study a lot of this.  I am also smart enough to realize that we are not always taught "everything" in school like we should be, so I have always made sure to educate myself of all sides of a subject to get a better overview and understanding. 

This show is stirring up many feelings inside of me.  Most importantly, the word fear comes to mind.  It makes me sad that so many people could just blindly follow another human being based on propaganda without questioning anything.  Unfortunately, it can (and will) happen again and again.  And, that is my biggest fear.

It also makes me think about our own political system here in the USA.  I see the same thing happening here in the "land of the free".  And, fearfully, it is always the extremists of a political party/ideology who are the leaders stirring the pot.  I wish people would just think for themselves and not just believe everything they are told at face value. 

I even see it in my own family.  The very people who taught me to think for myself, never just take things at face value and question everything, have become mindless followers who regurgitate extreme views that they heard from some talking head on TV who knows squat about anything except starting trouble and stirring the pot for no other reason except to expand their already over-blown egoes (oh, and let's not forget all of the wealth and fame that comes with it). 

Now, at this point it would be easy for these people to say "Oh, she's some extreme liberal or conservative" and discount my thoughts.  However, I am not an extremist on either side of the political spectrum.  I always listen to both sides of any argument and don't believe that either extreme of any system is a good one.  There are good points and bad points to both the conservative and the liberal points of view in my opinion.

So, instead of just saying one side is better and smarter than the other, why can't our politicians just work together to make this the best country it can be.  Isn't that REALLY what our forefathers fought for and would have wanted??? 

Am I the only one who thinks that the gridlock in Washington DC is stupid, ridiculous and completely unnecessary??  Does anyone else want this country to get back on the right track and do what's best for EVERYONE and not just what's best for one political ideology or another (or what's best for the lobbyists funding both sides)???

Geez......I can't believe what started as my feelings about a viewing of a show on the History Channel has turned into my views of our current political system.  But in the beginning of this post I used the word fear and, quite honestly, I do fear that people here in the USA are just blindly following politicians or talking heads because it's easier than actually taking a stand or doing their own research or even thinking for themselves.  And God-forbid one actually listens to the other sides views without prejudice. 

What has happened to this country???  I am a proud American.  So for those of you out there who don't think it's possible, you CAN actually be a proud American and NOT be an ultra-conservative or an ultra-liberal.  It's possible to be a proud American and still think our politicians are completely out of touch with what needs to be done to improve this country.  And, you CAN be a proud American and think our political system sucks right now. 

How can that be?  Because I believe that we have all of the capabilities to get back on the right track, but only if the idiots running things got out of their own way and thought about anything other than their own egoes and greed.   Also, that the American people really do have a choice.  Maybe it seems like we don't, but in this country we all have a choice.  That choice is called a vote.  

Unlike so many other countries, we get to elect our leaders.  We have this incredible gift that our forefathers fought for and we don't even appreciate what we have.  Look at all of the people who come to this country for a chance at a better life and a chance for the rights and freedoms that we take for granted.

There are some Americans who don't like all of the immigrants coming to this country and following their dreams.  Uh, I'm sorry, but last time I checked, unless you're a Native American, your ancestors are not from this country and at some point everyones family started out as immigrants to the good ole USA.  So, please, just get over yourselves. 

And just to be clear, I'm not speaking about illegal immigrants, because that's a whole other subject. Plus, illegal immigration isn't limited to just those who come from south of the border, but from everywhere else in the world.  Yes, there are illegals from many many other countries around the world. But like I said, that's a whole other subject, with no easy answers.

Maybe all of those Americans who feel so incredibly entitled should move to other countries to see what it's like in the "real world".  Then perhaps they wouldn't be so hateful to those who just want the same opportunities as we just take for granted.  Oh, and just so you know....I was born and raised here in the USA as were both of my parents. 

So to come full circle back to the beginning of this post, which was my watching of "The Third Reich: The Rise" and "The Third Reich: The Fall", it was very interesting because it was done using footage from Nazi Germany.  To me it's a cold reminder of what has happened in this world less than 100 years ago, and, if we aren't careful, will happen again. 

I really don't know why I felt the need to vent all of this, but apparently, it needed to be done.  I know it's an uncomfortable subject but it does need to be addressed and discussed. 

Well, it's time to go.  I will now get ready for my nighttime viewing of RuPauls Drag Race, Bethenny Ever After, and DWTS.  Some "Reality" TV.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment