Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy (Good) Friday to all



I can't believe it's almost the end of another week.  Actually today is Good Friday....for those who follow the Lenten season.  And, for those who did, what did you give up for Lent?  I happened to give up "meat", which I normally do each year.  For whatever reason, giving up meat for Lent this year was excruciatingly harder than usual.  Maybe because the place I work at the menu is 95% meat?? 

Anyway, one of my co-workers gave up soda.  So, she and I are now doing a countdown to when we can eat or drink again--LOL.  What I really want is a nice piece of Prime Rib or a yummy cheeseburger.  We'll have to wait and see on Easter Sunday what I end up choosing.

Actually, I'm working on Easter Sunday.  It's the first restaurant I've ever worked at that's open 365 days a year......so working on the holidays is new for me.  They tell me it's going to be busy.  I work the morning shift, so it probably will.  Also, it may rain on Sunday, which means we may be busy all day.....which I'll be really happy about!!!  If I'm going to work, it may as well be busy, right??!! 

I think I wrote in a post last week that I played on a womens softball team for the first time last week as a fill-in because they were short several players.  Well, they asked me to play again this past Wednesday.  It was cold and very windy.  The team was so bad they let about 16 runs score in the first inning due to lousy pitching (lots of walks) and terrible fielding.  The other team finally felt sorry for us and just swung at lousy pitching and struck out to get us out of our misery!! 

Seriously, most of the women on this team not only CAN'T catch a ball, but they can't throw it more than 1 or 2 feet.........I AM NOT JOKING!!!  I was in right field and only 1 ball came to me....only because it was a grounder and the first basewoman let it get by her (NOT even shocked by that).  I was able to easily throw it to an infielder.  The left fielder was also able to catch and throw the ball like someone who knows how to play.  The same can't be said for our centerfielder.  She couldn't catch the ball....couldn't field the ball.....and when she threw it, the ball only went maybe 2 feet in front of her--uh, that's NOT an exaggeration.  I just stood there in shock.  It was embarrassing!! 

There were 2 girls on the team who were really really good (our left fielder and short stop--both fill-ins like me) and 2 of us who were good (me and the 3rd basewoman).  After the game, the manager advised us that if we wanted to play again for the summer season we each needed to pay $38.  My friend told me that this team has NEVER won a game.  Sorry, no thanks!!  I just told my friend that I considered this team practice for our co-ed team.  She just laughed.  Hopefully, they won't need me again for the rest of the season, especially if it's going to be cold outside.....cause it's just too painful to watch.

As for work.....it just amazes me that our Friday nights aren't busy.  I've never worked at a restaurant that WASN'T busy on a Friday night.  I think it may have to do with not having a beer or wine license.  At first they weren't going to get one.  I talked to the managers and told them that we've had several people leave or say they won't be back even though our food is good because they can't get a beer or glass of wine with their meal.  Last I heard the managers were trying to get the license.  Fingers crossed that they really are.....I really believe it will make a big difference on all of the nights, but especially Fridays and Saturdays. 

Honestly, I should already be in bed since I have to be back at work at 7am tomorrow.  So, I will say goodnight and everyone have a happy and safe holiday weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment