Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review--"Love The One You're With"

First let me start out by saying Happy Hump Day, Wednesday. I can't believe how fast this week is flying by!  And, what is up with this weather?  Can it really get any windier here in Northern California??  I don't know if it's windy all over California.  For those of you fellow Californians, I live in Solano County.  Usually it's pretty hot since we are in the valley and close to Sacramento (about 35 miles west of).  All week I've been feeling that summer is over and fall is on its way, fast and furious!  That makes me sad.

Today I finished reading Love The One You're With by Emily Giffin.  According to the book jacket:

"This is a story for anyone who has ever wondered:  How can I truly love the one I'm with when I can't forget the one who got away?"

"Ellen and Andy's marriage doesn't just seem perfect.  There is no question how deep their devotion is, and how naturally they bring out the best in each other.  But one fateful afternoon, Ellen runs into Leo for the first time in eight years.  Leo, the one who brought out the worst in her.  Leo, the one who left her heartbroken with no explanation.  Leo, the one she could never quite forget.  When his reappearance ignites long-dormant emotions, Ellen begins to question whether the life she's living is the one she's meant to live.  Love The One You're With is a powerful story about one woman at the crossroads of true love and real life."

I loved this book.  I thought it was honestly written and I could relate to the main character, even if I didn't always agree with her choices.  I was drawn into the story and went along on the rollercoaster ride with Ellen as she figured things out.  It was difficult to put down and I couldn't wait to see how it ended. 

The story does make you think about past loves and relationships, and is a good choice for anyone who has had a difficult time getting over someone.  It will also make you think about the current status of your life/relationship and whether or not you are where you want (or need) to be.

I also have Something Borrowed and Something Blue and can't wait to start reading them.  After finishing Love The One You're With I am definitely an Emily Giffin fan.  For right now, I have just started The Carrie Diaries.  I haven't been a fan of any of the previous books I've read by Candace Bushnell, which include:  Sex and The City, Four Blondes, Trading Up?, and Lipstick Jungle.  I know she has one other book called One Fifth Avenue.  I have debated on whether or not to bother.  Hopefully, the writing has improved in The Carrie Diaries as compared to Ms Bushnell's previous works.  If it's just the same old terrible writing I've had to endure, I will skip the 6th book (even though it came out before The Carrie Diaries). 




2 comments:

  1. i just finished all of sophie kinsella's books, and i am now planning to read all of emily griffin's. :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete