Friday, June 25, 2010

One year later...

When I turned on the TV this morning it seemed like everyone was talking about the one year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death.

They discussed his kids, parents, siblings, his $$ worth before and since his death....it seemed like nothing was off limits in discussing this man's life and death.  I have always been a huge fan of MJ's and think, musically, he is/was a genius.  His personal life, well, I only know what I've read in the gossip columns like everyone else.  What's that saying "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"? Or, better yet, "Unless you walk a mile in someone else's shoes...".  My point is, we heard all of the salacious tidbits over the years in the tabloids.  We really don't know what his personal life was or wasn't.  I've learned a long time ago that just because someone says something doesn't make it true.  But on the other side, there could be some truth in what was said.  Whatever the truth was in his personal life, we will never know.  All I know is that a musical genius is gone and for that I am truly saddened.  So, instead of the press prying into his personal life and his children's lives, let's mourn the loss of the musician and move on.

Now, while I was watching all of the sordidness this morning, I noticed that I didn't hear about another celebrity who passed away on the same say--actually that morning:  Farrah Fawcett.

I remember the day both of these stars died.  I was at work and read about Farrah's death online in the morning.  In the afternoon one of my co-workers came over and told me Michael, too, had died.  I didn't believe her and checked it out. 

Yes, we all knew Farrah was dying due to cancer, but it was still shocking when it came.  They were both huge stars in their own right and it was sad that once MJ died, it seemed like everyone forgot about Farrah. 

It was made worse several months later when the Academy Awards didn't mention her during the "In Memorium" segment of the program.  But they didn't forget Michael Jackson, now did they?!  They came up with a lame excuse afterward about her being a TV actress, not a movie actress.  What was Michael, then?  He was never a movie star.  Although he did appear in 3 motion pictures (including The Wiz), most of his "films" were long music videos, not movies.  Farrah had made at least 15 motion pictures. 

Anyway, I would just like to remind everyone that 2 stars passed away a year ago today, not one. 

Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, may you both rest in peace........

No comments:

Post a Comment