Friday, May 14, 2010

The Hills, Reality TV, & Real Life

I just read an article in US Magazine about Spencer and Heidi Pratt.....better known as Speidi. I don't usually believe what I read in these mag's, but the story does make me think about what's true and what's not in regards to what may or may not be going on in their lives. I have been watching the new season of The Hills and have been appalled by what I've seen so far. And, it looks like even more craziness is yet to come.

I know this reality show is scripted, and exaggerated, but watching Speidi's storyline this season is sad, troubling, confusing, and tragic. I don't know if it's all just for the ratings, or if we are actually watching Spencer descend into a total mental breakdown?! Either way, I don't see the outcome as being a positive one for this young man.

As for Heidi, what can I really say that hasn't already been said? A local TV station is re-running the first season of The Hills again and I am watching it for the first time. Seeing the vibrant, full-of-life, self-confident Heidi from the first season is a complete departure from the plastic surgery enhanced, sad, lonely, unsure Heidi we see today. She is a completely different person both inside and out.

How does someone change so drastically both emotionally & mentally over such a short period of time? Someone had to help her get there. By picking away over and over on a regular basis over a period of time, you can completely erode someone's confidence, and get them to not only believe what you want them to believe but do what you want them to do. It's disturbing to see it being played out on a TV reality show.....even if it's just a storyline!

Lately I have become more appalled than entertained by reality TV. The lengths to which people will go for their 15 minutes of fame is becoming more and more disgusting and disturbing every day. Who is to blame? The Hollywood executives, the reality "stars", the media, or those of us that watch all of this crap? Probably all of the above.

It seems that the reality shows are pushing the limits to engage in more fighting ---the more fireworks the better, at the expense of everyone's dignity. There's no better example than the Real Housewives franchise, of which I have watched since season 2 of OC in 2007. RHOOC was entertaining through season 3. However, season 4 was less so and the most current season (5) was almost unwatchable due to the meanness and negativity! Same with the NY franchise this current season (3). It, too, is so negative & mean spirited I have a hard time getting through each episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment