Saturday, April 10, 2010

Training for a 5K

I have tried to train & run in a 5K for a very long time. More specifically, since 2005/2006, when I joined a local womens running class. Something has always seemed to get in the way of accomplishing this goal (mostly work). The closest I got was an informal race the day after Thanksgiving in 2008. I had been training & was going to run in it with a friend of mine. However, 2 weeks before the race I fell & broke my right arm. No, I was not running/training at the time of the fall. I tripped over a rug in my house. Yes, seriously.

I was st
ill planning to run the race, but my mom told me she didn't think it was a good idea with the cast. Knowing me as well as she does, she announced she was coming with me. She knew if she weren't there I would try to run. So, I ended up power walking with her--yes, ALWAYS listen to your mother! I've found that when I don't the results are usually not good!! Oh, and by the way, she power walks much faster than I do & I had to work hard to keep up. But then again, she power walks 5-8 miles a day several times a week!! Go mom!!

So, one of my New Years Resolutions for 2010 is to finally run in a 5K. I have been training for it since February. It's been hard for the most part because I dislike cold & rainy weather. Since the temperature has been better lately I've been more consistent.

It's also difficult to train because I am doing it alone, so I have to motivate myself. I do have online friends who run & they inspire me a lot. Thank goodness for them!!

I feel I am getting close to being ready. There are a couple of 5K's coming up soon in my area. A friend I used to run with (and now lives in another town) said to let her know when I have picked a race &, if she could make it, she would come run it with me!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I've been training for this for how many years? I need to listen to Nike & "just do it". Until then, I will continue to train.....

No comments:

Post a Comment